The East Missouri Foundation is a private foundation established to make grants to I.R.C. § 501(c)(3) organizations in furtherance of charitable or educational exempt purposes. The foundation is governed by a board of directors. These directors make the final decision on all grants and expenditures made by the foundation.
Grants Made by the Foundation
The foundation makes grants to qualified charitable organizations that address the following areas of interest for seniors, persons with disabilities, low income persons, single parents, children, or the homeless:
- Health Care
The foundation will make its grants in the following forms as appropriate for the project proposal and the project time line. Be specific about the form of grant you are requesting.
- One-time grants, which are single-year grants for a specific purpose;
- Multiyear grants, which are commitments for funding to be paid in increments over a period no longer than three years;
- Start-up program grants; and
- Challenge or matching grants. All capital projects in excess of $100,000 must have other sources of funding to cover at least 50.0 percent of the project.
Grants That the Foundation Will Not Make
The foundation will not make the following types of grants. Any request for funding for these purposes will be denied:
- Grants to individuals for any purpose;
- Grants to domestic organizations for funds spent outside of Missouri or the St. Louis MSA;
- Grants to private foundations (other than operating foundations);
- Grants to endowments or other discretionary funding pools;
- Grants for dinners, balls, or other ticketed events;
- Grants for political purposes;
- Grants for lobbying activities; and
- Grants for purposes outside of the foundation’s funding priorities as listed in the prior section.
Application Procedure & Form of Proposal
Applicants must use the foundation form in applying for a grant. These applications must be submitted to the foundation, via the web site upload, by the following dates:
|Deadline for Submission of Grant Request
|Will Be Reviewed By:
|End of April
|End of July
|End of October
Grant applications must be competed using to online forms and protocol, including the submission of supporting documents. All application forms must be competed in their entirety and include all required attachments, if any. Any supplemental documentation considered essential by the applicant should be brief in content.
The foundation will notify you if additional information is required for your grant application package. The foundation reserves the right to hold consideration of incomplete grant requests until the next grant cycle.
Frequency of Application
The foundation receives numerous grant requests and is unable to fund all projects, even though those projects may be well-designed and well-conceived. Applicants may make only one (1) application per year, whether successful in receiving a grant or not.
Organizations receiving funds from the Foundation must provide a certified statement that the funds received from the foundation have been used for the purpose intended. This statement, which must be signed by the nonprofit’s accounting firm and chief financial officer, must be filed with the foundation no later than 90 days after the end of the organization’s fiscal year.
The East Missouri Foundation considers grant requests without regard to race, gender, disability, religion, ethnicity, age, or sexual orientation. The Foundation does not knowingly award grants to organizations that discriminate in their hiring, those they accept as volunteers or the clients they serve.